Fleets that want faster, easier, and safer loading and unloading may want to consider a translucent roof. Fleets transport goods that are sensitive to heat or light; in these circumstances, a fleet may prefer to employ a roof with less light transmission or stick with aluminum.
Two light transmission options are available: 10% and 30%. In addition, there are two tear strength alternatives: Traditional Tear Strength (TIW) and Enhanced Tear Strength (ETR). The thickness must be specified in the specification and must be 0.075 inches when using translucent cover panels. An ETR is the ideal choice for most carriers due to the potential for severe operational damage.
It is crucial to take good care of a translucent roof, as when they are damaged, it must be repaired as soon as possible to prevent the damage from spreading. Although ETR roofing greatly decreases the spread of damage, prompt treatment of damaged areas is advised. Therefore, it is important to perform routine inspections of the roof to detect minor damage that can be quickly remedied.
A translucent roof can improve safety by increasing interior visibility and is safer to operate, as it allows drivers to see what they are doing and where they are going. A second advantage of visibility is that it reduces damage to trailers and goods.
- On a 53' trailer, this material weighs 15% less on average than aluminum.
- In a 20' x 8' truck body, there is an average weight savings of 19% compared to aluminum of 0.032".
- Greater fuel and payload savings.
- 20% light transmission with no additional hardware or wiring costs.
- Most UV light waves are filtered out by a special resin system, which also reduces heat build-up.
Improved productivity and safety
- Improved visibility for loading and unloading goods.
- Ideal for fleets that make numerous stops and manually load or unload goods.
It is important to mention that there are companies, such as Stabilit America, that have solved the need for a lightweight, well-lit vehicle that allows for safer loading and unloading of goods by offering the market a superior translucent roof option. Unlike other FRP products, its solutions are designed to survive harsh road conditions by leveraging its enhanced tear and puncture resistant technology.